Sunday, May 23, 2010

Green Chile Verde Enchiladas


Saw this recipe on my sister's wedding photogs blog. Tried it, LOVED it. I even made it for a Latin family in my ward that I had to take dinner to, and got complimented! That's pretty good for it being a mexicanish dish! hehe

2 cups shredded chicken
2 green onions sliced
3 tablespoons cream cheese at room temperature
1 1/3 cup grated monterey jack cheese
2 cans 7 oz salsa verde
2 tablespoons chopped green chiles
1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup vegetable oil
8 white corn tortillas

1. preheat the oven to 350. in a medium bowl, thoroughly combine the meat, green onions, cream cheese, and 1 cup of jack cheese. set aside

2. in a blender or food processor, combine salsa verde, chiles, cilantro, and cream. blend until smooth.

3. heat the oil in a frying pan. (do not put ALL the oil in at once, do it in small amounts) place 1 tortilla at a time in the hot oil, and leave for 5 to 10 seconds or until softened. turn the tortilla over and soften the other side. drain over skillet and place on paper towel. repeat until all 8 tortillas are softened and drained.

4. place 1/8 of the turkey mixture in the center of each tortilla. roll tightly and place, seam side down, in a baking dish. pour the salsa verde cream sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle remaining jack cheese over the top.

5. bake until heated through and bubbly, about 20 minutes. serve immediately. Serves 4.

1 comment:

Monica said...

I altered this recipe by putting cheddar on each tortilla and sprinkling mozzarella on top. I didn't have the sauce ingredients either so I just used bottled green taco sauce and sour cream. I didn't really like my sauce flavor; it was a little too sour (go figure!).